TV-to-Movie January 19, 2022 2456
(Updated: May 16, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

When I heard Paramount was coming out with a remake of Stephen King's "The Stand", once again scripted by the master himself, I was elated! I waited anxiously for the trailers to be released and when I saw them I definitely wasn't disappointed! The trailers blew me away with the visuals, the special effects, and the casting. I was super excited to see what could possibly be a better version of the the 1994 classic mini-series. I loved the original mini-series but didn't care for some of the miscast actors the cheesy effects.

Unfortunately, what Paramount released was a non-linear mess that left the viewer confused and wondering what the hell Paramount was thinking in releasing it the way they did. It made it extremely difficult to either become interested or maintain interest due to the constant jumping back and forth in time.

Fortunately the masterful Spence has taken it upon himself the monumental task of re-ordering, re-editing, and re-assembling of this new mini-series to give the fans what they should have been provided in the very beginning - a chronological re-imagining of the book that is entertaining, engaging, and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

The technical aspects of this fan edit are top notch. The editing is masterful and Spence has taken the best of what was given and turned it into a polished diamond. This fan edit is better than the 1994 mini-series version by leaps and bounds. It's got some cheese here and there like the 1994 version but it is better overall.

My only complaint, which has nothing to do with Spence and everything to do with the writers and producers of the original release, is they cut out too much from the book, leaving huge chunks of material on the cutting room floor. Hopefully someday another remake will do justice to the unabridged book by filming everything put to page.

In closing, I highly recommend this Spence fan edit. He's knocked the ball out of the park again. Add this to your collection!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments