Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow Remixed
Half of “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow” is a film of breathtaking vision and craftsmanship, a work of art that both summarizes the early history of cinema and takes it brilliantly, shimmeringly forward. The other half is not. Ultimately the movie is immensely stylish, fantastically retro-looking, and an utter bore.
- Deleted The hand crossing out names. Who is that? Totenkopf’s mysterious oriental agent is a robot. She needs a list?
- Deleted Sky Captain holding a gun on Polly. If you’re going to point a gun at somebody, you better shoot.
- Deleted Polly being a klutz, always doing the wrong thing. Now she’s a competent reporter.
- Deleted the bickering and snipping that was supposed to pass for romantic chemistry.
- Deleted scenes of Dex for pacing.
- Deleted any dialogue meant to be funny that wasn’t.
- Deleted any dialogue were a character says “I’m going to do…” Now they just do it.
- Kaji has a mind of his own. He speaks without being prompted by Sky Captain.
- Added scenes from original 6 min. movie into robot sequence. 15 secs. Added tint.
- Added deleted scene “Totenkopf’s Torture Room” with music from “The Ring” 1 min. 6 secs.
- Reworked the end credits. New end credit sound track also RemiXed by Jorge.
- Added surprise ending after the end credits. You must watch till the last frame.
Review by cable — August 2, 2012 @ 10:17 am
I liked watching the reruns of the old serials like flash gordon and king of the rocketmen. I’ve only watched sky captain once before and i have to say you have done a good job of sorting the pace. It was such a shame that i and the rest of the world didnt go to see it. I would have loved to have seen one or two sequels. The film has such a great visual style to it and your edit has tweeked it into a much better film. Thanks. Overall 4 out of 5.
Review by Ripplin — October 27, 2009 @ 6:33 pm
I’ve always enjoyed the original movie, but found it a bit quiet, for lack of a better term. It has always felt weird to me. It still does in Jorge’s edit, but less so. He did a great job trimming the fat and improving the pace. I think I miiiiiiiiight still play the original if showing it to someone for the first time (depends on the person), but this is an excellent alternate version that I would probably grab if I felt like watching some Sky Captain action. Anyway, nicely done. I give it 8/10.