shangchilegacy_front
FanFix June 13, 2022 2668
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Tremault has worked her magic again –twice in a row now- turning yet another film from the indifferent tier of the MCU into an enjoyable ride. Technically, this edit is as superb as her previous work with Captain Marvel, with the all the cuts, trims and additions as seamless as they could ever be. Narratively, and starting out from the impossible, I would never have imagined that in any multiverse Katy could ever make a tolerable character. Well, Tremault has proved me wrong! It’s not that I find Katy likeable still (or Awkwafina’s portrayal something special), but at the very least I can discern more clearly the buddy qualities that Shaun sees in her, without having to roll my eyes every now and then due to extreme cringiness. The same goes for Trevor Slattery –portrayed by the great Ben Kingsley, but written as a total buffoon- who now has a little more dignity than in the original. And here I must confess that, even though I laughed with the absurdity of the Planet of the Apes joke, trimming it off was a wise choice as it makes the character much more relatable.

Speaking of wise choices, I’ve got to applaud the fan-editor’s guts to tone down the never-ending CGI fest in the final battle. Not only the pace of the climax is improved that way, but the whole ending becomes much more personal as we mostly concentrate onto Shang-Chi’s fight against his father. And here I was thinking that I was the only one missing the subtlety of the early Marvel days, when Iron Man had only Iron Monger to face, one-on-one! Another thing that bothered me in the original was the Abomination vs. Wong cage fight. As far as I’m concerned, it was nothing more than a rotten member berry - never properly explained, nor making any sense. A super criminal like Blonsky going against the current Sorcerer Supreme in an underground fight! I’m glad that Tremault was of the same mind and so successfully got rid of it.

The usual MCU attempts at humour are also toned down, which is always fine by me. Now, if I had to nitpick, I’d say that I wouldn’t miss the karaoke scene during the mid-credits scene. I know, it’s a callback to a previous scene and that it’s the current trope in the MCU, but I don’t think that the Sorcerer Supreme, of all people, would have sung karaoke just after he had stumbled onto a possible extraterrestrial threat. Ending it on a serious note, just as he’s suggesting that they go to sleep and adjust into their new life, would have been preferable, if you ask me.

So, even though my interest in the MCU is still dwindling as we move further into the post-Endgame era, Legacy of the Rings was a far more entertaining experience than the original film and definitely my to-go version from now on.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply July 03, 2022

Thank you so much!!
I appreciate you mentioning the karaoke. I actually had a draft where I had removed that, but I could never find a satisfactory point to end that scene, it felt too abrupt wherever I put it. Then after it was pointed out to me how the karaoke lends some positive aspects to Shaun's life, I figured it made more sense.
I also appreciate the observations of Wong and I would actually challenge that, I feel like Wong is a good contrast against Stephen Strange, showing how a sorcerer supreme can also lead a vibrant and full life, whereas Stephen doesn't. I feel like it fits well with the general premise of multiverse of madness.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
July 17, 2022
It has been a total turn-off for me since the end of Phase 1 and Whedon's involvement, this overuse or misuse of comedic (or "comedic") elements and the so-called bathos. It's not that I want the whole MCU to turn into super gritty material like the Snyderverse, although I really love Snyder's work, to be honest. But as far as I'm concerned, for a joke to land it has to respect a set of three guidelines: 1) who is cracking the joke, 2) how is he cracking the joke and 3) when is he cracking the joke. That's why, while I'm more than okay with most of the Guardians' comedic bits, I cannot for the life of me stand it when Cap’s joking about America's ass just as he's putting his past self to sleep.

Now, the “how” part always bothered me with Wong in the MCU. Out of all the official entries, I think that Raimi balanced his humorous side pretty well in Multiverse of Madness, all things considered. But my absolute favourite would be his depiction in Bobson Dugnutt’s Dark Dimensions. Thanks to his clever edits, all his comedic bits come out of his deadpan face and his interactions with the arrogant newbie Stephen Strange, not because he’s speaking or acting overly ridiculous, like, let’s say, talking about Hulk ice-cream in the middle of a conversation about Thanos.

However, even if I had no other problem with how Wong is being treated in the MCU, that karaoke scene wouldn’t have resonated with me because of the “when” part. Moments ago he was talking about a possible extra-terrestrial threat, even more ancient than Thanos – and Thanos did wipe out half of the universe. I’ll have to rewatch if I am to make a suggestion on how to trim that out, but I’m sure that you know better.

Anyway, I’m nitpicking here and that was never my intention. Congrats on all your hard work.
P
panexis
1 results - showing 1 - 1