Resident Evil Film Series: The Unfair Cut
FanMix April 02, 2024 476
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is a 5-to-1 edit, or more accurately, a 5-to-2, since the final edit is divided into Episode 1 and Episode 2. The original 5 are all the Resident Evil films, except the 1st one. This is a smart choice, as the 5 films include a lot of flashbacks and retells of the same events, and almost all of these were cut effectively, creating a single chronological story.

In terms of narrative, the end-result is spot-on. Most of the way-too-crazy moments, the whimsical “retcon” sections and simply the poor writing bits are gone. The story became cohesive, and it actually felt like a complete trilogy (if this edit is watched after the original 2002 film, as intended), instead of the disjointed film series the originals became.

My gripes with this are fully because of editing, particularly related to the audio. More than a few audio cuts were very noticeable, way too abrupt and jarring. Most of these were in Part 2 / Episode 2, like at 1h10m47, 1h12m16, from 1h14m47 to 1h16m55 (for this entire fight, the audio was all over the place), 1h33m46 and 1h47m01, just to give the more obvious examples. The many sudden audio changes (all where new cuts were introduced) definitely affected my viewing experience.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply April 15, 2024

I'm glad you gave examples because otherwise I would have been completely mystified by the complaint of "way too abrupt and jarring", but I do agree that several of the ones you mentioned could be more seamless with a 3 second fade instead of 1 second - I'll have to revisit them in my next revision and make sure there aren't any sound effects or other talking in the way that necessitated the shorter transition.

The fight you mentioned is especially problematic given that the soundtrack itself has numerous shifts in music and cadence so even if all the transitions are absolutely seamless it's still going to jump around a bit musically in a short timespan unless you completely strip out the music and redub it.

Story-wise it's necessary to cut the fight down harshly since in the original version it goes on quite a long time, and having removed Michelle Rodriguez's clone there's no reason for the guys to not be involved in the fight unless it's over fairly quickly. I think over the numerous iterations I've recut the fight three times so far trying to get the narrative flow as seamless as possible.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments