psychotoo_front
Shorts February 08, 2021 3594
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I was not familiar with Psycho II, but the concept of the edit sounded so wild that I felt like I had to make it my first experience.

EDITING
Generally, in terms of conveying the old-school TV vibe, this is excellent, but some of the re-framing did not work so well for me. Some shots are very obviously cropped from widescreen, with characters cut-off unnaturally or the subject of the shot being unclear. There's also one very odd shot where the aspect ratio has clearly been squashed and does not work at all.

Audio-wise, there are moments of the original film score lingering that don't suit the tone of the edit and could have been removed.

NARRATIVE
The shot of the note from Norman's "mother" is incredibly brief and is followed by a bunch of quick cuts. I don't know how it plays out in the original, but it felt rushed and a bit confusing. In general, that plot point is quite vague, but it more or less gets by.

ENJOYMENT
Outside of that though, the concept is really well delivered. The applied TV effects, degraded audio, canned laughter etc. are all really well placed. On some level I could tell this wasn't intended as a comedy, mainly from the acting, but there were also a lot of instances that were very cleverly tweaked to be humorous and had me laughing. Recommended.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
T
Top 50 Reviewer 103 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments