9.5 2 10
FanFix November 02, 2013 3480
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Writing a review of this based solely on the fan-edit. I have not seen "Me & Orson Welles" so I have nothing to compare "Orson Welles & I" against:

The opening newsreel stuff feels interminable. Seven minutes? This may be "world building" but I would think that there has to be a better way to go about it. I desperately wanted to fast forward during this part but was afraid that there would be things in the newsreel that would come back later. The voice-over(s) do not sound authentic to me at all. The audio quality is too good for the picture quality that goes with them.

I'm sure we're to recall the opening of Kane with the screening room scene that follows but I'm not sure why the V.O. about Caesar is laid over it. Are the lips supposed to be synched with V.O.?

Once we get past the opening, things go very smoothly. Though Zac Efron is ostensibly our foil, he's very much a cypher, kind of like the reporter from Kane, though much more visible. I found myself not caring about his home life by any stretch nor about the girl from the music shop he kept running into. If this movie could be made without him altogether I would not weep.

Christian McKay plays a good Welles. I was thrown off at first by his mania and that "we're all so wacky because we're theater people" vibe through the first third of the film. Luckily, that calms down a bit as we see a little more of Welles's humanity.

I didn't notice anything missing from the film -- it all played smoothly and felt very natural. If I could make one suggestion it would be to remove the prologue completely.

Kudos to the editor.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply November 05, 2013

Glad you enjoyed it overall. :-)

I felt the 7 minute "Interminable" (LOL!) newsreel was important (To remind the viewer of the almost casual pre-war atmosphere that Orson hoped to shake up and the meaning of the play is only relevant to that time really) yet optional on further viewings. Which is why I put it pre-credits and pre-title. I thought I'd got the lip synching pretty close in the Kane scene... oh well, it was just meant as a little gag for the fans ;-)

If you thought it played "Smooth" and "Natural" with "Nothing" noticable missing, then I'm very pleased! Because there is a hell of a lot removed, cut and reordered. In a couple of scenes there is hardly a shot in the same place ;-)

C
2 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
November 08, 2013
Yes! You did a remarkable job. I'm curious to watch the original but that I felt even the small amount of Efron that remained being too much, I doubt I can stomach it.

I'll be recommending this to the Welles fans that I know. Thank you again for all your work.
C
cashiers
1 results - showing 1 - 1