Special Projects November 10, 2023 682
(Updated: January 05, 2024)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is a long overdue edit, and one of many that sit in the back of many of our minds as "I'll get to that one day"...but catferoze got the cream and actaully delivered...and big thanks for doing so.

Is this a fave musical of mine...? NOPE....

Does this have challenges to pull off? for sure...and this achieves all that with aplomb!

Even as a youngster, it was obvious to me that the lady singing was NOT Audrey hepburn, and of course as the years have passed, we now all know it was MArni Nixon, who dubbed MANY a voice in a host of movies.

To me, the illusion was ALWAYS broken when Marni Nixon's voice drops in, despite her skills, it just did not sit well with me even as a child. Now tha issue is almost resolved, and with great skill to boot.

How and why they let Mr Harrison speak through his songs and NOT allow Ms Hepburn similar latitude, is beyond me. Would Julie Andrews have been as convincing as Eliza? Who knows...but for me, this is finally the GOTO version; already burnt to Blu Ray and slipped into the Anniversary edition on the shelf.

Technicals are all top notch, and I'm exercising forebearance on the scoring...I do not see why an edit should be penalised for using the best sources, even if sonically the new song sources are not quite as vibrant...WHO CARES? Not MOI !

What this achieves more than anything is NOT that the original performances have been added back...but in fact it elevates the authenticity of the character and the protagonists believability in the fiulm to the heights it should always have been.

More so, it is yet another example as to why I beieve there should be a CLASSICS category in future FEOTY awards since edits like this not only raise awareness of these classic movies, but in many cases elevate them to new heights.

Highly recommended!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments