lionkingdefinitive_front
FanFix February 06, 2024 646
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This was a fun watch. Yes, you can tell when the VHS source was used. But, it's been wonderfully cleaned up and looks great. And the VHS source wasn't used often, and when it was, it was brief. So, I personally didn't find it distracting. The only time I didn't think the editing was seamless was when The Morning Report song happened. But this is honestly a very minor nitpick and isn't distracting at all.

It was actually nice to see The Morning Report after so many years. I don't think I've seen it since getting The Lion King on blu ray. Including The Madness of King Scar song was also interesting. I don't think it really works for the movie, and is probably better for the stage version. However, I can't fault the actual editing of the scene. I think strangecalendars did the best they could with what they had.

I really liked seeing the part where Simba lies on the cliff with the SFX letters added back. I'm sure most know of the urban myth that (probably) resulted in it's removal in the first place. I loved seeing the orange and black logo at the start. I always thought it was a shame Disney put in the standard logo for future releases. It was unique and perfect for The Lion King. I also preferred this version's end credits to other versions.

Do I recommend this version? Yes. But I think this is more for die-hard fans of the movie. Simply because aside for the addition of the two songs, the other changes are fairly minor. If you never owned the movie on VHS and/or DVD, some of those changes might go unnoticed. But if you're someone who's always bought a copy whenever it's been released on a new format, then this is definitely a worthwhile watch..

I look forward to seeing what future edits strangecalendars may have planned.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
E
Top 1000 Reviewer 3 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments