9.2 69 10
FanMix July 04, 2012 8599
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Audio/Visual Quality: Always an odd one to rate for a grind house edit - picture was actually pretty good, considering the concept. I know that the picture and audio deteriorates during deleted scenes, but I believe this worked in favour of the edit and enhanced the experience. In fact, the only reason I give this a 9 instead of a 10 is due to the fact that at times I felt that the video quality was almost TOO good. IMO it wouldn't have been a bad idea to degrade the footage even more to match the quality of the deleted scenes.

Visual editing: Excellent. Jarring visual cuts are there on purpose and benefit the experience. Titles, SFX etc. are all wonderfully done.

Audio editing: Once again - the jarring edits work. The little jumps/repeats on certain lines are a nice touch as well as the odd added piece of dialogue.

Narrative: Well, it works, and I'm not complaining. There are redundant scenes, but then again - maybe that's part of the point? Pacing could have been better, and I wouldn't have minded some more extreme changes to some scenes, but all in all this is a beautifully degraded alternate version of the film.

Enjoyment: I enjoyed this. I'm not a big fan of the original, but I do like it, and this was a fun alternate experience. I loved what was done with Quints tale, and the ending - I was expecting a grand explosion (which wouldn't have gone amiss), but what followed instead was nothing short of brilliant. DVD was nicely put together as well. Lovely stuff.
T
Top 50 Reviewer 104 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments