interstellargoing_front
FanFix January 01, 2023 2909
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Where We’re Going is better than the original in my opinion. The most important change is the treatment given to older Tom and his refusal to leave the farm. Removing these scenes greatly ameliorates the experience. I wonder if it was originally there only to give Murph a reason to go back to the farm?
The music added is also interesting. It’s folk, it’s grounded, it reminds us of the fields and the earth. I wish it didn’t replace the sound of rain and thunder in Cooper’s ‘‘iPod’’ though. That one moment in the original movie made me feel insignificant and alone. I was riveted to my seat and impressed by the imagery of Saturn overlaid with the background noise of Earth’s weather. Where we’re going uses music instead and misses to make me feel something other than nostalgia.
Other audio cuts have gotten me out of the movie for a second and both are similar but not really bad. We can hear Professor Brand and Murph talking, in two different scenes, when their lips aren’t moving. In the case of Brand I know it’s a creative choice, in Murph’s case I guess it was just a hard cut to make. And that’s it, only these minor nit picks for the entire movie.
I really like the credits at the beginning, simple but efficient. I like the various cuts made to dialogue, they all feel relevant to me. And I think they achieve the goal of getting better pacing throughout the movie.
I will rewatch Interstellar and when I do, I’ll be watching Futon’s edit for sure!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments