FanFix February 17, 2024 635
(Updated: March 16, 2024)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

An exceptionally clever new take on the infamous Highlander sequel The Quickening.

On the technical side, this is a very ambitious project and the Editor's passion and knowledge of the material is evident in every frame. The core concept for the new narrative is logically sound, though it does not always play out cleanly for me. Many scenes have been re-arranged into a different order, and I found on occasion it affected the ebb and flow of the pacing, Such as Connor driving before the Opera with the radio info dump or Katana's very late arrival in the present.

The fan edit uses footage from various sources of differing video quality, which is very noticeable. Thankfully, it all serves and improves the story and the characters, so it did not detract from my engagement in the moment.

The new sound design and fx work with future judges is great, I really loved those scenes. Though I am not certain if the Alternate Future aspect is fully fleshed out or transparent or even makes any more sense than the original, but I must admit it is brilliantly inventive!

There is much to love in this fan edit. It goes without saying, the additional Queen music is incredible and immediately elevates the material. The new opening is pitch perfect. And the new ending! Wow! I got the FEEEEELS!

The fan edit also benefits significantly by what was cut, especially the bizarre, left field, creepy love story. This removal, along with restored material from alternate versions, makes Louise a much more dynamic and integral character, which I loved.

On the whole, an impressive achievement both technically and narratively. It is honestly the most enjoyable version of Highlander II that I can ever remember watching.

Thumbs UP!!! :)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments