Special Projects November 02, 2021 1703
(Updated: March 22, 2024)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I really like the original version of this movie & I've been looking forward to checking this edit out for a long time now.
The idea to remove the inner monologue is great as it really changes the film up in a few different ways. The original inner dialog mostly comes across as a dated trope & not in a cool way. Removing it gives the film a more classic feel & tone. It also really improves the story telling & Eleanor's characterization.
The pace of the film has also been improved. This version moves along nicely & never felt like it was dragging.

I do have a few visual nitpicks-
-The opening shot looks static & maybe some fake shake/gateweave? Looks like some grain has been added, but its very light & doesn't match the rest of the film. Maybe it's always been like that? I can't compare right now, but it instantly stood out to me.
EDIT- this is indeed how it looks in the original version, so no fault on the editor here.
-The edit title being added to the title card looks added on & distracting. Would be better with just the original title card, but that's just my opinion.

Besides that, there was a line or two cut that I missed, but it's nothing major to the story.

A great edit of a good film. Even better than the original version for sure!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply March 22, 2024

Thanks so much for your generous review, Ray! Really glad you enjoyed it.

If by the opening shot you literally mean the first fade in shot of the house that the narration is over, then that hasn't been touched. It's like that in the original film :)

As for the title, fair enough! It's a mix of re-purposed letters from the main title which have been masked out, and new letters. Revisiting it, I'm happy with the overall look, though I can see how the initial fade in could be improved and smoother. I also understand why you might want the film title stand on its own.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments