Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers – Thornless Edition
- The mysterious “Man in Black” is now completely gone from the film.
- Many outdoor scenes have been color corrected so it appears more like October.
- The shot of Loomis holding Jamie during the Halloween 4 recap at the beginning of this film is removed, as this contradicts the events of Halloween 4.
- There is no longer a Thorn tattoo on Michael’s wrist.
- When Michael rises up at the hermit's home, actor Don Shanks' face is now more obscured.
- The “Clownish Cops” are no longer clownish, nor does silly clownish music play when they’re around.
- Billy has been toned down, and he no longer stutters.
- The Myers house exterior shots have been replaced with shots of the house from Halloween 1. Some other shots are cropped to disguise that it’s a different house.
- When Loomis first visits the Myers house, several shots where he looks at the laundry chute have been removed so it's not as "in your face" in setting up the Jamie chute scene later.
- When Tina is looking for Rachel at her house, new music has been added.
- Sheriff Meeker is no longer referred to as a "Sergeant."
- Billy doesn’t “translate” for Jamie as much during the "Cookie Woman" scene.
- A few Tina moments are toned down to make her less annoying.
- Jamie's begging of Tina not to leave has been toned down, as Tina’s ignoring of her pleas hurts her character.
- Mikey isn't as much of a jerk. He doesn't berate Samantha and Tina, flip off a passing police car, or call Spitz an idiot.
- Spitz's cackling laugh has been toned down.
- The barn scene has been tightened, including the overlong sex scene with Spitz.
- Spitz doesn't yell "Boo!" when they enter the barn.
- A shot of Spitz about to throw hay at Tina has been removed, so it's more of a surprise when he throws it.
- When Spitz pretends to stab Samantha (dressed as Michael), the scene as been reworked so the prank is not as telegraphed to the audience.
- Some incorrectly flipped shots of Michael chasing Jamie with the car have been corrected.
- The shots of Jamie's smiling relief when the car crashes have been removed (Jamie knows better).
- Michael no longer sheds a tear in the attic.
- Loomis's hysterics while beating Michael with the board have been toned down.
- When Michael is in jail, his mask has been changed and recolored to fleshtone so it looks like he’s not wearing his mask. The cell’s bars blocking his face helps with the illusion.
- Instead of the Man In Black shooting a machine gun and freeing Michael from jail, the scene has been recut to imply Michael broke free on his own.
Halloween 4 & 5 are a great combination, and this version is nicely done.
stefanedit aug 5 2012
This is definitely the best version of Halloween 5, and it’s fanmade how ironic isn’t that? Take that Hollywood. Long live FE!
I grew up watching the theatrical cut so I guess it has some kind of a nostalgic value for me, even the bad stuff, but oh man what a difference some editing can do. What really got me excited reading the cut-list was the choice you made to digital remove Michael’s mask while he’s behind bar. And watching the fanedit I most say it worked perfect. Also a lot of characters/scenes are now more tolerable than before (read: Tine/cops/stuttering reta…ehh…kid) and getting rid of Thorn was needed because it was never needed to begin with (confused?) Now I’m waiting for a H6 – Thornless edition (aka H6 – Enough of this Michael Myers bullshit)