FanFix September 09, 2023 1185
(Updated: October 04, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

FULL DISCLOSURE: I was asked to preview this edit and had a hand in the approval process. Having said that, the edit came to me in a state that was highly polished and very close to perfect, in my opinion. My input was minimal, and many of the small tweaks that made their way into the finished product came directly from the editor as they iterated a few more times near the end.

A/V QUALITY

Essentially perfect, and the editor was very cognizant of some of the challenges presented by the source material on this front.

VIDEO EDITING

All of the cuts and transitions were seamless, with at least one feeling very much like an original transition.

AUDIO EDITING

Basically perfect, and there was at least one amazing bit of audio editing that I thought was in the original, but was actually added by this editor.

NARRATIVE

All of the dead-ends and kid-focused side quests were removed, and the narrative was thus improved.

ENJOYMENT

I had many false starts over the years as I tried to watch this movie. I value the Wachowskis and their bravery, but I could never get to the point in the movie where I was hooked and it would just diesel away to the finish line. The Spritle interludes pulled me out of it every time.

This version just works. For me, the moment where the style becomes secondary and I find myself hooked is during Casa Cristo, and specifically that moment after Trixie removes her helmet and there's a bit of natural bickering between her and Speed, with X interjecting as if he's their older brother. It's the first moment where they feel like three normal people, and X no longer feels like a nameless cipher. The movie only gets better from that point on, and the stunning checkboard finish doesn't fail to impress, even after multiple viewings.

Since my enjoyment of this version is higher than the original, I score this a 10.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments