TV-to-Movie December 06, 2021 5708
(Updated: April 03, 2024)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I watched the 2000 mini series several years ago, and while I enjoyed it, it was quite long and bloated at 4-5 hours, which has made it difficult to want to revisit. So I was happy to see an version that retains the main story beats while narrowing the runtime to a brisk 3 hours. Not an easy feat I'm sure. I enjoyed a lot of this edit, it worked really well! But even with not knowing what was cut, I can feel certain things missing. Some characters may have had almost too little screentime and could use one or two more scenes restored to ground their characters a little better, Mapes for example had her introduction cut so when she gets stabbed during the ambush on Atreides, it's like who is this? Feyd Rautha could have had his fight scene with the prisoner on Geidi Prime restored for a little more screentime, these are just some examples of things I'd personally change.

So I think if some character introductions weren't cut and just a few more scenes were kept in here and there to flesh out characters a little more and add a little more weight, it'd add like 10-15 minutes so a tad longer but more rounded out. So I wouldn't recommend this as a first watch of the miniseries of course, I absolutely recommend the full mini series still. But if you've seen it already once and and want a condensed version that hits the main points while not compromising too much instead of watching all 4-5 hours again, I can recommend this, after all this is more of an experiment to reduce down to a feature length and not trying to be a new definitive edit.

Quality in HD was great, looked fine on my plasma TV. I did like the re framing to 2:40:1 aspect ratio, it worked quite well most of the time, and desaturating the colors in a lot of the scenes made them a little easier on the eyes. From a technical standpoint, the edits were seamless except for a moment around 17:11 where for 1 frame the shot was framed differently before shifting to different framing for the rest of the shot.

Thank you for making this, because I don't know if I can bring myself to find time to watch the full mini series again otherwise!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments