Flatliners – True Nightmare Edition
By removing William Baldwin’s death experience from the movie, this becomes a more dense horror movie than before.
Because he is such a bad actor and his role was rather distracting than supporting the atmosphere, we reduced William Baldwin’s part of Joe Hurley to a minimum, he is just a participating friend, but he has no death experience, nor is his sinful life of any interest. This adds a lot to the overall atmosphere, which becomes darker and tighter.
persons involved: 5
Joe’s death experience
CBB GROUP overview
CBB GROUP overview
Cuts and Additions:
– removed Randall Stackall diary entry
– removed Terry talking death nonsense
– removed Joe humps the first
– removed Joe and Stackle discussing Joey’s sex life
– removed Joe bidding with Rachel to be next
– removed Joe from restaurant scenes next to Stackle by zooming in or overlaying
– removed Nelson asking Joe if there was anythign negative, about his experience (because there is no experience)
– removed the homeless woman saying “Nelson” to Nelson. (Scene was cool , but there was no sign of supernatural events later on, so it just doesn’t fit)
– removed Joe seeing his girls (several scenes)
– removed Rachel saying “I was dumped twice”, because she was only dumped once.
– removed Stackle mentioning Joe’s death
– removed Nelson saying he had suspicions soon after Joe went.
– removed David asking God for help (over the top)
This was a huge improvement over the original release of the film. CBB/Boon expertly cuts William Baldwin's scenes down to a minimum and refocuses the drama on the three principal characters, with the added bonus of much better pacing. Video quality is a bit fuzzy but although I didn't do a direct comparison, the edit looked just like I remember the DVD on my last watch. This edit has replaced the original for me, highly recommended!
Do you recommend this edit?