wintersoldierspence_front
TV-to-Movie November 13, 2022 4171
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Well, yet another excellent edit from Spence!
I was really doubting that this show could be salvaged for me in any way but Spence was like, hold my beer!

To be honest, I only watched the show once when it came out and that's it. So, I can't speak in details about all the changes, which I'm sure are quite a lot. But there a couple of scenes that I do remember clearly so I will comment on those for sure.

To get the typical stuff out of the way, if you somehow didn't get it from my first comment, from a technical point of view Spence's edit is almost flawless! Even though I did not remember most of the stuff that were cut out, I did not miss them at all! The cuts were seamless, the pacing was great and the plot was moving forward naturally. The movie clocks in at two hours and fifteen minutes plus the after credits scene.

I only have two issues with this edit, although the first one I'm not sure that I care all that much, but I believe it is something that must be pointed out. Spence has removed the entire sequence of how Bucky broke Zemo out of jail. At one moment they are talking and when they are done and we move to some other scene, Zemo appears in a guard's uniform. The way it was done was great, it was actually so good that I had to check if this was how it was done also in the series. It wasn't. So, I can definitely see if someone is bothered with the "how the hell did Bucky broke Zemo out of a high security prison".

The second issue that I had, but I'm not sure if it was left in because it's impossible to remove or because Spence actually liked it, is the God awful speech that Sam gives to the senator at the end. It was tactless, unnecassary, blunt, on your face and borderline ridiculous. The fact that at the next scene we see the statue of the black Captain America is political statement enough and gets the message across clearly, but discreetly, as it should.

There is also a pretty minor minus regarding the second time where Sam went with Bucky to talk with Karli, she is unmasked, false Captain America enters the room, Sam and Karli jump down (all of this happens within a second) and Karli wears the mask already out of the blue.

Lastly, before the last action sequence, like half an hour before the movie ends, there is a big downtime and tightening of loose ends and even though I knew the movie is not ending I strongly felt that it does and I was kind of checking out. It feels like the movie has two endings. I don't know if there is anything that can be done for this, but I thought I should mention it.

Other than these complaints, the edit is excellent, it most definitely salvaged the show for me and I recommend this to anyone who kind of enjoyed the series but was left overall unsatisfied.

Thank you Spence for all your hard work and thanks to anyone who read my review!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments