FanMix June 18, 2015 31788
(Updated: June 27, 2015)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is a technically (except for a sudden fade to black at minute 58:02 or so) well edited 3-in-1-edit of the Star Wars Prequels. But I felt like the narrative didn't convey well the story of a republic descending into an empire. And it felt like characters required a foreknowledge as they imho weren't introduced well to the viewer and to each other. But that is all subjective, maybe it just hit me the wrong way. I recommend people interested to watch for yourself and to make up your own mind.

P.S.: My wdhd-tv-mediaplayer had problems playing the edit back smoothly, maybe because of the LPCM used for sound. I converted it into a mkv with AC3 sound and then it played it smoothly. On my computer both versions played smoothly.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 1

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
(Updated: June 27, 2015) June 27, 2015
I appreciate you watching and taking the time to review. I found that black spot at 58:10. Curses! It will be fixed ASAP.

Showing the "Fall of the Republic" was not high on my list of priorities. I see how that could be deceiving, since my edit is titled The Empire Begins. But as stated previously, my priorities were:

1) Make The Empire Begins feel like a real Star Wars film. Follow George Lucas' film grammar, keeping my edits as invisible as possible.
2) Make Anakin a stronger and more likable character. Simplify his motivation for turning to the dark side.
3) Strengthen the Anakin/Padme love story. After all, it is the most important romance in the galaxy.
4) Remove weak dialog and cringe-worthy moments.
5) Keep the runtime between 2 and 3 hours. See rule #1.

The Empire Begins starts in medias res, per Lucas' style. The characters could have been introduced better in the theatrical releases: we meet grown Anakin on an elevator, and don't meet Dooku until Geonosis. There's the expository scene in Palpatine's office with the Jedi, and the reunion scene at Padme's apartment. That's all there is to set up the main players. I didn't have much to work with.

With 95% of Phantom gone, the reunion scene in Padme's apartment doesn't make sense in my edit. And I chose the deleted scene of Padme at the Senate instead of Padme at Palpatine's Office. It makes her a stronger character, sets up the threat of the clone army, and explains why she is targeted for assassination.

And let's not forget the all-important opening crawl. I did cram in as much exposition there as I could.

D
darth-awesome
July 03, 2015
UPDATE: the fade to black was caused by missing frames in an earlier export. it has been fixed.
D
darth-awesome
2 results - showing 1 - 2