Review Detail

9.5 34 10
(Updated: September 02, 2012)
Enjoyment

July 6, 2012

Spice planet. Arrakis. Dune. David Lynch’s sci-fi epic. It has flaws, mostly in keeping me entertained after the first hour and a half. The Alternative Edition Redux has effectively fixed that problem.

- Technically, the video is super-crisp, even the restored deleted scenes were decent quality, and the sound editing was near-perfect (there were still a few inner-dialog moments that i wish could still be cut down. “This is what i’ll do to the Duke and his family” always irritates me to no end).
- The 4-book structure made the geek in me incredibly happy. It was pretty much the selling point for me on this edit. The quotes that preface each segment were great, and gave the film more of a flavor akin to the original book.
- Irulan’s narration is perfect. Much better than the dude’s.
- The spice eyes were also pretty awesome (though, the design of them was never really correct, but that has nothing to do with Spicediver’s edit).
- The ending was beautifully simple. It gave me chills.

I believe that there could be a harsher edit to Dune, however. The exposition just seems to go on forever and they never stop explaining things but other times they don’t explain things at all. But, whatever. I’m just trying to find something to nitpick on.

ANYWAY, This is now my go-to cut of the film. Thank you, Spicediver, for this wonderful edit.

Video: 5 of 5
Sound: 4 of 5
Edits: 4 of 5
Presentation: 5 of 5

Overall: 5 out of 5, because it’s just too awesome.
T
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments