Review Detail

9.6 20 10
(Updated: August 31, 2012)
Enjoyment

August 31, 2011

As of the time I’m writing this, the edit currently has 8 ratings…all 10/10. That is no fluke and certainly not done on a whim. ;) Sure, the movie this edit is based on may not exactly be Oscar-worthy, but it was still fun. And under all the camp, Ron Ely did a great job playing Doc, giving the character the seriousness he deserved. Slark did a great job at removing a lot of the camp and thus making Ely’s performance fit in more! He even managed to toughen up Seas a bit. Heh.

When it comes to changes made, this goes FAR beyond the average ‘cut a few things out, add in a bit, and/or reorganize scenes’ edits. For example, slark did foley work. FOLEY WORK! I was hugely impressed by that. It really can be the best way of accomplishing an objective with this type of fanediting. There was also some de-Caucasianizing, visual effects added/replaced, color correction, audio swapping and tweaking, some excellent masking, and even a cameo by the editor himself! The reordering that was done was also very logically done.

In addition to all that, he also added a classy newsreel to introduce the characters, a very entertaining and insightful text commentary track, interesting text intros and outros, an often hilarious deleted scenes section, trailers, and a classic ‘making of’ featurette. The cover art is classy and the menus, though simple, work well.

I very seldom give any movie/CD/whatever a 10/10, but I gave one to this edit. The movie is fun, the edits/changes were incredibly numerous compared to many, it was a blast following and contributing to its progress and the excellent extras were like the icing on the cake. I’m sad that I can’t follow the progress of this one anymore. :p Overall, one of the most enjoyable experiences I’ve ever had in faneditingland!

Slark hit two grand slams in the same inning with this one. HIGHEST possible recommendation!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments