crisisqueen_front
TV-to-Movie June 03, 2023 1556
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I'm honestly surprised to be giving such a low score, especially compared to the prior two Crisis edits where Bob was able to make something out of nothing. However, I will attempt to explain my reasoning.

First, I think Bob made too good of a trailer for the edit to live up to. With how much focus is put on Oliver & the choice of music, I don't find that the fanedit ever captures that level of intensity. And it's not that I want this to be the Oliver show, either, as this ultimately about the Arrowverse at large (Kate convincing Kara to not use the Book of Destiny, Iris convincing Ryan Choi to join & Flash of Earth-90 sacrificing himself with a brand new montage are truly powerful moments), but even then, the characters I mostly care about are Barry, Kara, & Sara, all of whom are Paragons who have stronger ties to Oliver than the other characters (which is admittedly a bit neutered for Kara since Oliver’s “guilt bomb” was removed).

If I had to pick out a weak link in all of this, I'd have to go with Hour 2. Going back to what I said about people with ties to Oliver, most of them are trying to bring Oliver back while their loved ones go to stop Lex & Kara goes with Kate to Earth Conroy. You could probably remove the Tom Welling cameo, & Earth Conroy is…tricky. Now, I thought Batwoman was a fine show, Ruby Rose was great as Kate Kane, & it was nice to see Conroy in live-action, but time has not been kind to this segment of Crisis (Conroy’s passing, Kate leaving the show, etc.) I get the idea of not trimming too much of it because Batwoman didn’t really build up to the Crisis, but that’s just it: Batwoman didn’t build up the Crisis, either here or the previous edits (& she doesn’t get an added goodbye like Supergirl, Flash & Legends do here, either). Kate works great as a supporting character (like Black Lightning & Ryan Choi) & foil to Kara, but it’s just hard to care about someone who’s journey is just beginning when the franchise is ending.

My last note is a minor point, & this more than anything is a matter of personal preference. On one hand, the battle at the beginning of time is very climactic, & other than just showing off the new status quo of Earth Prime, you could probably jump straight to Oliver’s official funeral & make for a tighter story/ending. On the other hand, I do love me some Legends-style nonsense, & Sara’s speech to Barry about how everyone in her life pre-Arrow is gone now, & I don’t want to risk cutting that out.

Aside from maybe moving Mar-Novu traveling to the beginning of time & creating the Anti-Monitor to the very beginning of the edit, this is a very serviceable ending to the Arrowverse (I cannot stress how good the new montages for Supergirl, Legends, Flash & 90s Flash were). I just remain curious as to whether there’s a way to shave of an extra 20 – 30 minutes while still being coherent. However, I won’t ask that of Bob, who deserves a long, well-earned hiatus/retirement from the Arrowverse after crafting so many bangers.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments