FanFix October 10, 2023 1595
(Updated: December 12, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is an ambitious edit for sure. It employs neck breaking visual editing and extensive audio replacement to move the story along at incredible speed. Narratives are told simultaneously in a long form montage approach with voice over work throughout. It's one of the more unique edits I've seen, but it doesn't exactly feel like a movie do to it's unique approach. This is more an artistic reinterpretation of the Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker.

AVQ 8
The audio and video have some issues here and there, but for the size (2gb) it's very impressive.

Audio editing 6
There are some abrupt transitions throughout and some of the music replacement clashes with the levels of the audio and dialogue of scenes. If this was a straight up movie approach, it would be more impactful, but with the artistic approach of a montage you already know you are watching an edit so it's not as jarring as it would have been otherwise. There is an incredible amount of audio work in this edit, and while some transitions feel abrupt, it is impressive what the editor was able to achieve. This feels like art.

Visual editing 6
I feel like the montage approach removes the jarring impact of some of the visual editing choices in this edit, but I do have to agree that the decisions made here do mirror the approach well. There's just a lack of visual continuity throughout so it's hard to give some of the visuals the investment that they would in a more traditionally driven visual narrative. The visuals here are backdrops to the voice overs and music.

Narrative 6
The narrative works, but it just feels disjointed due to the montage approach of the story. That's not saying this is bad, but it is certainly noticeable as a fanedit.

Enjoyment 7
I did enjoy the fresh approach to this edit. It gave me a lot of new ideas about the prequels, and I wonder if they are best served in this manner. This felt like art in a way that I haven't experienced here at fanedit.org. That may be due to the fact that this doesn't necessarily feel like a fanedit film, but rather a long form fanedited tribute to the source material. That isn't meant as a knock at all, it just is in it's own unique space here. This feels like Star Wars in the style of Phantasia. My enjoyment score is most impacted by the audio editing and the lack of visual continuity that made it hard to invest a full viewing length of attention to. With some more focus on audio transitions, I believe my enjoyment would go up at least a point. That being said, I'd highly recommend this edit as it challenges the idea of what a fanedit is and how one can approach the prequels in a new way in a sea of familiarity.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply October 17, 2023

Thanks Dig. Glad this edit has subverted expectations and appreciate the high-praise use of the term 'art'. You're right, it's not a traditional 'film' or 'fan edit', very much by design.

D
Top 500 Reviewer 21 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 2

Comments