babydriverlove_front
FanFix November 12, 2023 757
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I might be the wrong person to watch this edit. I fell in love with this movie the day it came out and saw it 4 times in theatres. Being an Edgar Wright film this was a huge undertaking in the first place. Kudos for giving it a shot.

Like the other reviews have said, there are noticeable cuts in both the video and audio. This was expected as baby driver original was finely cut to the beat. Imo you could probably cut all the monsters Inc references and still have a clean cut. The audio doesn't cut very well when Doc starts talking to Baby after the P. O. scouting scene and the only thing you need it for is the Monsters Inc reference. Being a music centric film, it's quite noticeable when the music fades out in order to hide a cut. Most of that was in the effort of making the film less bloody so I won't fault the fan editor for that choice.

Narratively, it is better. Docs change of heart is more believable. The ending is ok, it's too bad there wasn't additional footage of baby and Deborah driving to lengthen the ending as it felt like it was cut a bit short to me. The chosen cuts also gave less depth to Baby and made him more villain-ish than I would have liked. I'm also not a huge fan of flashbacks.

Overall, it was worth the watch. I'm probably only going to watch Baby Driver proper after this as, in my eyes and ears, the beat is more important than narrative for this film. That and I like the extra bloodiness.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply December 17, 2023

Thank you for the review!! I always appreciate feedback on my edits :) you're right that Edgar is a tough one to work around because his movies are so rhythmic. And making Baby into a bit more of a dick was unfortunately necessary to remove the "indentured servitude" angle. Either way I'm glad you thought it was a good watch!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments