Apollo 13: Go For Launch Cut
- Apollo 11 BluRay
- replace some miniature/effects shots of the crawler
- replace effects shots of the Apollo 13 with actual Apollo 11 footage
- replace some crowd shots with actual Apollo 11 crowd shots
- replace one shot of the lunar module docking sequence
- minor color changes
- minor re-editing of Apollo 13 to help the new footage seamlessly work in the movie, with minimal distraction.
I loved Apollo 11 and I hadn't seen Apollo 13 in a long time, so I thought this would be a great way to rewatch Apollo 13. This is an unambitious edit, in that the editor kept 99.9% of Apollo 13 intact, only replacing 1 minute of footage. In that sense, it achieves its goal. The A/V is perfect quality and the editing is invisible. The new shots are barely noticeable and if you had watched this blind, you wouldn't know a single frame was different.
But Apollo 13 is a relatively long movie and I really would've liked to see a more ambitious cut of it (but not as ambitious as Rogue-Thex's excellent Super 8 Cut). There's lots of excess here that could have been jettisoned. The whole family on the ground drama is the obvious choice, especially because the tension never pays off. We sit through endless scenes of Lovell's family going through hell as the ship hits roadblock after roadblock only to have the movie end before he's reunited with them.
As a fanedit, I can't really recommend this over the original. It's too similar and your experience won't really be any different. If it's been a while since you've seen Apollo 13 or if you've never seen it, check out this edit, if only for the fact that it's still a great movie.