FanFix November 12, 2020 9951
(Updated: January 10, 2024)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

AC was a film I was fairly ambivalent about - some very good sequences but with characters who just seemed to be there to get infected/bursted/munched on.

This edit (I’ve only watched the extended cut) does wonders for the characters and actually creates a cast I could feel invested in - the whole prologue section works very well, even though the Leonov special effects shots look a bit creaky compared to what comes later :)

My one “con” from the viewing: I really didn’t like the whole “Advent” section at the end after David is revealed to have replaced Walter - I think the sequence of jump-cuts lasting only a second or two each is out of place and doesn’t visually match the tone of the ending or of the film in its entirety. I found it really jarring and will be something I’ll edit out before watching again - but I will be watching it again as this is a superior version to the theatrical release. I watched it after A9’s Prometheus edit and I think they pair together nicely.

Nice work, Wraith!

Edit: I’ve now watched the shorter version and I definitely prefer the extended cut - while the shorter version is better than the theatrical cut I feel it is a little too truncated compared the the extended; the film flows much better in the longer cut. I still don’t like the jump-cut scene insert towards the end (it’s included in this version as well) and think that would be better suited as a post-credits bit instead of the Walter advert. I’m also not a fan of any “alien POV” shots (I think the Alien is more scary the less you know about it) and wonder if those bits could be excised as well?

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments