afterthedarktimes_front
FanMix November 16, 2023 1392
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Once more we have a fresh new take from the editor that brough us BEFORE THE DARK TIMES.

Tis does not have the impact nor the immediacy of that previous edit, but it does nevertheless achive a skilful condensing of the material into a fresh new approach.

Audio/Video Quality: 8/10
The image appears a touch soft...I'm not certain if it is a source or rendering issue...maybe even stylistic, but I di feel it could be cleaner.

Audio Editing: 7/10
I did find the A.I V.O to not sound much like old luke at all...in fact, for most of the time I thought it was Stellan SkarsgÄrd telling the tale... I think more effort could have been put into generating these vital pieces of exposition. Having used the tools myself I know it is difficult to get the results one wants...but perserverance is required if one is to get the desired results. There were also too many detectable fades that were at the end of dialogue that either cut in too early or do not permit a natural gap for the organic flow to not be distracting. It is not a ubiquitous issue, but it occurs too often and a forensic pass and revision would elevate this to a 10 without question. This also would benefit from some polish on quite a few musical clashes, but again...there is some great work here too.

Visual Editing: 8/10
Once again, this edit progresses at a pace...it is however much looser than its predesessor...which I personally think is a shame.
Its still a great ride and very well constructed but it could benefit from some tightening up while also adrressing some of the abrupt cuts that permiate.

Narrative: 8/10
I found that I could not really extract a narrative thread with the clarity that the previious edit had....maybe I was too familiar with the sources or maybe the VO was not as cohesive as it could have been, but I found that this played more like a "greatest hits" than the montage style of Before The Dark Times...and I found myself missing that extreme compression so skillfully displayed in the previous. There are many great creative slants to this for sure, and I would not suggest to anyone that they should avoid this...far from it... I just wanted more of what was...

Enjoyment: 8/10
If this were the unaltered sequel trilogy, enjoyment would be a 7....so 8 IS AN ELEVATION.

Unusually, my increased enjoyment came from NOT being annoyed at many things that are now gone....PHEW! Once more, with some further trimming I think this could rise to a 9...even 10. There is no question that the editor has revealed a path that can be taken through the sequel car crash....and i did enjoy many aspect hugely. I just can't help but feel that there is an even greater version to be enearthed...and I hope that these constructive comments might help.

I look forward to the trilogy being closed of with the presumed THE DARK TIMES.

OVERALL: Defo Recommended
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments