(Updated: December 10, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Audio/Video Quality: 7/10
The image looks similar to some HD streaming services albeit a bit softer when it comes to fine details such as edges.

Audio Editing: 5/10
There are a lot of abrupt cuts throughout this edit. Voice overs also become a distraction as the tone of the voices are inconsistent. I think this is possibly due to some AI dialogue replacement as well as movie sourced audio that has a different tone and energy being combined. Additions to some scenes such as Leia abruptly calling Han a flyboy as she walks away from him just feel a bit forced. One of the most concerning moments is when Rey sees Luke for the first time. The music cuts here are very abrupt and clash.

Visual Editing: 5/10
This edit departs from the neck break speed visual editing and as a result I'm not really sure if this is a long form Musical Journey style edit like Before the Dark Times or if this is more of a reader's digest version of the films. Continuity of character movement within scenes is often overlooked in order to force the new visual structure and narrative. As a result, the visual editing often feels jumpy and disjointed. Some scenes are allowed to breathe, others are not. It becomes confusing visually.

Narrative: 5/10
I'm not really sure that I'm understanding the main goal of the edit for this one as I felt confused watching it. Characters aren't really introduced as much as we are dropped in on them and we are expected to know some quality of their story already. The rearranged scenes also don't feel like they have a continuity to them. In the previous Before the Dark Times edit it appeared that this was purposeful as the edit was more of a special project long form montage, this doesn't have that feeling though. I do like some of the ideas of the narrative, but unfortunately I don't feel they were able to be sold as they relied primarily on voice over dialogue which felt inconsistent with the scenes that were left untouched.

Enjoyment: 5/10
While I wasn't the biggest fan of Before the Dark Times, this one just felt off and more of a proof of concept to me. I wouldn't mind revisiting it again in the future if the audio and visual editing were able to smoothly support the narrative goals of the edit. I did enjoy what I believe was AI voice cloning of new dialogue. While it didn't match some of the actor sourced dialogue, it is exciting to hear the new possibilities available to the community.

User Review

Format Watched?
Digital
D
Top 500 Reviewer 21 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 1

Comments