starbornextended_front
Extended Edition September 01, 2022 965
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Second viewing of the 1954 film, having been introduced to the story by watching its 1983 restoration and 2018 re-re-remake (of the 1937 original) on consecutive days back in January, and probably my best experience of the lot so far.

While part of it may be a result of greater familiarity with the story, and thus being able to better appreciate the more subtle details, I think the trims make the film flow better. I completely agree that the preservation of the cut sequences is vital, but substituting stills to make up for lost footage within the film itself can have the effect of disconnecting the viewer from the story on an emotional level and (to paraphrase Wraith) make it more of an "academic exercise", same sort of feelings I have towards the restoration of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad. Mad World.

It is more difficult to determine what my feelings would be if the film had survived fully intact but I think that Maine's arc may be clearer here than in the uncut version, giving the impression that he is (somewhat) more in control at the start by removing scenes showing (in the broadest definition) him trying and failing certain tasks. This excision does result in an orphaned reference, but that is probably invisible to new viewers.

Many thanks Wraith, I look forward to seeing your Re-Born version before too long!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
P
Top 50 Reviewer 83 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments