lesmisstage_front
Special Projects November 15, 2023 713
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

First of all, the insane work that has gone into this is commendable, for sure.
Fixing the constant out of pitch singing of Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe, in particular, is a great achievement. It turns the film into its best version both in terms of acting and singing.

Some of the highlights of this version, that have absolutely improved the film, are "Who Am I?", “On My Own” (the best scene of this fanedit), the final Javert scene and Marius’ “Empty Chairs At Empty Tables”.

There are many times, however, when the image is too jittery and choppy, because of the need for the lip movements to match the recordings as close as possible (and the required frequent changes in the video playing speed). It’s incredible work, I don’t doubt; but many times along the film, this negatively affected the experience for me.

On a personal note, I don’t agree with the dubbing of the final song between Éponine and Marius. Samantha Barks is a professional singer who performs on Broadway and she nails every note on the original, as expected; and her acting here is actually good. And Eddie Redmayne does a pretty good job on this (short) song as well.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments