2001alexnorth_front
FanFix November 27, 2022 1312
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

The best fanedits for me are the projects that take a great film and make something new and interesting. The Alex North Trip excels at offering a fresh experience of one of the best science fiction films of all time. I'd known about the Alex North score for some time, but I made the mistake of not recognizing the potential in reuniting the score with the film.

The tense atmosphere brought to the Dawn of Man sequence alone makes the edit worth the price of admission. The spaceflight sequences really sell the "world of tomorrow" vibe the film evokes. I found myself enraptured by the images on screen for what felt like the first time all over again, with the reintegration of the original score grounding Space Odyssey in its pre-Apollo 11 context--with the wonder and excitement of a human race that had not yet reached the moon. North's work develops and grows the tension in the conflict between HAL and the Discovery One crew, and the selections made to support the Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite sequence rival Ligeti.

From a technical standpoint, the rescoring is perfectly timed and precisely balanced with the film. I only found some of the pre-man redubbing during the first monolith scene somewhat transparent, and the fade back and forth between North and Khataturian during Frank's birthday/chess game with HAL quite noticeable.

Overall this was a great effort and any fan of Odyssey, or just classic film in general, I'd highly recommend.
P
Top 500 Reviewer 8 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments