FanFix December 01, 2023 683
(Updated: May 11, 2024)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

It’s been many years since I’ve seen Young Frankenstein, and I wanted to go into this edit blind, so I can’t be certain of many changes. Nor can I really comment on any subjective tweaks to comic timing and gags. I honestly couldn’t remember a thing about the original, but having recently rewatched the original Frankenstein films, it was fun to be freshly aware of just how much Brooks pays homage to. Ray’s choice to tweak things like the name, generation, and the painting in the house are also a lovely touch and a fun way to more concretely establish this spoof as a successive entry. It was recommended that I watch Son of Frankenstein prior, and I'm glad I did, as there are some great references to that material.

The humour doesn’t always land for me, but by and large I had a good time with this version, and edits passed by seamlessly, with only a few exceptions (largely visual). The following stood out to me in terms of visual editing:

- 16:49 - scene fades out, then the next shot appears quite abruptly rather than a slow fade in other scenes.
- 27:42 - scene ends abruptly and fade transition comes across as unnatural
- 1:08:44 - framerate drops at the end of shot
- 1:25:05 - framerate drops

In terms of audio editing the only thing I noticed was right after the credits, where there is a pretty noticeable clash with a crossfade between scores. This occurs at 1:35:14. But skimming through the cutlist, I can see plenty of sneaky edits that got by me. The “calmer way of expressing myself” line tweak is a nice touch.

Thanks for all the care you put into your edits, Ray! Keep doing what you're doing :)

EDIT: visual editing bumped up, as it turns out most of the errors I spotted are source inherent.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
T
Top 50 Reviewer 106 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments