FanFix September 23, 2021 7404
(Updated: January 03, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I hate writing a review when I didn't really like the film or agree with the editor's intent. It is a competent edit, but I feel like it retains too much of what doesn't work while unfortunately adding a few more things to the mix that also don't work.

Making it so Steve Trevor doesn't inhabit the body of another man is an important and necessary change. However, Steve is now introduced in a way that is very abrupt and quite jarring.

I like that more 80's music was added, but I feel like a editor overdoes it and at times all the extra music starts to feel grating.

Wonder Woman 1984's main problem is that it doesn't know what it wants to be (could be because it was co-written by Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns). On the one hand, it seems to want to be a light-hearted campy homage to the Christopher Reeve Superman films. On the other hand, it wants to be a very serious and preachy feminist critique. It's the latter, in my opinion, that doesn't work. But that seems to be what the editor is intent on retaining. The overall message of the film (about not having the things you want) is also condescending and unsatisfying. Once again, this is all retained.

If this film is to be redeemed at all, I think an edit should go in the opposite direction. Lean into the camp and silliness and make it a fun, lighthearted affair. Maxwell Lord is not sufficiently redeemed by the end of the theatrical cut, so he should be kept as the narcissistic con-man that he is. I really don't think he needs to be made into a sympathetic character, because he's pretty terrible all in all, and I don't think the audience is ready to forgive him by the end. I would cut the child entirely from the film, since his presence is tragic to the point of being comical as it tries desperately to tug at your heartstrings. He's just a poor neglected child that his father barely thinks about. He really brings the film down.

The theme of both Diana and Barbara nearly constantly being sexually harassed doesn't really add anything significant to the film. What is the point being made? When Barbara/Cheetah throws the guy into the truck, I think it should be played for laughs (cut away after she tosses him rather than watch her beat beat the crap out of him).

I could go on and on. Overall, this is a good edit that doesn't quite scratch my itch, but it may work well for some people's tastes. My main point here is that this is an irredeemably silly and stupid story, so the only option, IMO, that a faneditor really has is to embrace the stupidity and let this play out as more of a light-hearted comedy.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
No
Format Watched?
AVCHD
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments