ww84excel_front
FanFix September 23, 2021 7406
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I enjoyed WW84 considerably more than the average moviegoer apparently did. To me it felt a lot like a throwback to those boldly random Silver Age stories from DC, and the closest thing to the Donnerverse that the DCEU has given us so far (I guess that if your idea of a DC movie is the grim downer Snyder style, you'll of course hate this one). There was, however, considerable room for improvement. The script did reek of first draft, the editing reeked of assembly cut, the nonsensical plot holes were there, all true. And all, all that was fixable at least (Asteria's armor is only there to sell t̶o̶y̶s̶ adult collectible limited edition action figures, for starters), is fixed here, and then some. The 80s songs, all awesomely picked, are just the icing on the cake. And I particularly appreciate a certain easter egg that fans of the original incarnation of Maxwell Lord (before DC ruined the character forever) will find to be a wish come true without resorting to the Dreamstone.

I suppose that if you absolutely hated this movie unedited, you'll only hate it a bit less in this form. But if you liked it at least a bit, this will probably become your default version, as it has become mine.

Overall, creatively and technically this edit is indeed excellent. There's nothing bogus about it. Watch this edit, party on, and be excellent to each other!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments