FanFix September 03, 2022 4467
(Updated: September 15, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

First of all, I wanted to thank Silver Screen Samurai and Wakeupkeo for doing their best to try to bring The Wolverine as close as originally intended by James Mangold. Stories of directors who gets their visions butchered by studios for mainly pecuniary interests is such a common thing, that it's always satisfying to see editors doing justice to the original vision of directors.

Now as for Wolverine, The James Mangold Restoration, I didn't know about the original intention of the movie, definitely felt the Japanese neo-noir influence and the Frank Miller inspiration, but didn't thought that the entire 3rd act was artificially grafted. Since it was always the weakest part of the film in my opinion, the idea of this edit to get rid of it, along with Viper, in order to be more grounded, got my attention.
The audio and video quality were top notch, watched it on TV, not a single flaw. Concerning the video editing, The cuts were flawless, the removal of Viper and the several lines of dialogues were unnoticeable at all. But the final transition on the other hand felt a little too abrupt.

Edit: I updated my review due to the release of the v2, which improved considerably the narrative of the film. But I'm still nitpicking over the ending (sorry), I think it would be smoother if the transition between the climax and the epilogue was set right after the dream sequence and not with Logan running toward that building. Awesome edit anyway. Without a doublt my definitive version of the film.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
D
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
(Updated: September 10, 2022) September 08, 2022
Hello, Dirtycop!
Totally understand this criticism about Harada, and I want to let you know we read you loud and clear. This was always an issue that was difficult to solve, even back when I started four years ago, because there's just so little available coverage in scenes featuring him at that point in the film that don't also feature Viper or Yashida.

That said, rest assured me and Keo are currently working on an updated V2.0 to fix this.

EDIT: These issues have been addressed in V2.0, which has since been released.
S
silver-screen-samurai
1 results - showing 1 - 1