Review Detail

8.3 29 10
FanFix August 15, 2012 3920
Enjoyment

Review by Syfo-Dyas — February 14, 2010 @ 9:51 am

This movie was ruined from the get go. All the crowds magically know where the safety zones are being set up at, and of course they all move in herds making them selves easy prey…

…actually, come to think of it, moving in herds and making themselves easy prey does kind of sound like a lot of people I know…

Of course there is the fact that Tom Cruise is in it, with his 2 dimensional acting, though thankfully he wasn’t quite as Tom in this movie, then again I could not help but remember who I was staring at and how stale the characters were.

Anyhow, aside of the fact that this edit is about a lost cause, I still got to hand it to the editor for doing such a great job! Everything was edited beautifully and seamlessly till the end. The whole scene where Tom Cruise puts a grenade up the walker’s reversed rectum did not work out well because right after they fall, you suddenly see his daughter looking off into the horizon, then it suddenly switches to a bunch of people walking to the fall out shelter. I felt everything ran smooth up until that moment. Perhaps if the editor would have paused on the girl’s staring scene, then faded it out slowly, while fading into the crowds walking to the fall out shelter.

Then again, how did the crowds all know where the fall out shelter was? You’d think that communications would pretty much be wiped out at this point, and mass organization and planning impossible. It wasn’t like people could sit on the comfort of their couches, eagerly waiting on new instruction from the TV to guide them along, and I’m sure all the Radio DJ’s went home, or died in their studios.

I think what I would have done is try to find a way to provide an ending where we just presume they are dead, but given that I’m only a fan of this film’s effects, I don’t think I’ll be taking on that effort and will end by saying that if you are a fan, this is probably the best version you can watch at the moment. My complaints aside (most of them not the editor’s fault), this is a drastic improvement over the original with it’s typical Steven Spielberg ending.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments