Review Detail

9.1 12 10
FanMix July 07, 2012 5675
(Updated: September 03, 2012)
Enjoyment

February 1, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

I watched this edit based solely on the fact it was made by the two powerhouses of the site.

Quite honestly, I don’t feel the need to break down the technical aspects of the movie, as they are perfect. Absolutely no issues in either the video or audio areas to note.

I thoroughly enjoyed the short feature demonstrating the audio work that was done to the edit. Very informative. I could tell a great deal of thought and work went into the audio creation and it pays off for the viewer.

I enjoy the original versions of both movies, but because of the lengths of the originals, I really have to be in the mood to watch them – but once I start them, I get completely into them.

Completely centering the edit of Eli Wallach and Clint Eastwood works very well and makes for a tightly paced western for “Two Glorious Bastards”.

The re-focusing of “Harmonica” was exceptional – I thoroughly enjoyed this edit. (especially as I was very skeptical of it’s 1hr 11min run time). Bravo!

However, if you are very dedicated to the original “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”, then this may not be for you; especially as the soundtrack goes. This is an aggressive edit and the editor’s knife falls swiftly in many areas to make this movie 86 mins long.

COMPLETELY MY OPINION: I am a fan of Johnny Cash and really thought I was going to like the use of him in place of the Morricone soundtrack. In the long run, for some reason, I didn’t. It is NOT because I am so dedicated to the original soundtrack. For some reason I haven’t teased out yet; it just didn’t work for me. I am sure I will be the minority on this point. It did not effect my enjoyment of the edit overall, but the Cash songs didn’t do it for me. Even as much as I have always liked his version of “Hurt” and never liked his version of “I Won’t Back Down” (don’t like the Tom Petty version either).

Again, just my humble opinion.

This edit is still great nonetheless.
U
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments