FanFix August 15, 2012 3822
(Updated: August 18, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is an excellent blending of the two stories. I have done my own edit of this, and I think it is very challenging to favour TOS or DS9 as the angle from which the edit comes from, gelling them together isn't fully doable. This edit is therefore probably the best and only real way that both stories can come together. Specifically, every scene is extracted from both stories chronologically so that we witness events from both stories equally. Kirk's captain's logs are rightfully removed, whilst Sisko's remain because the overall framing is the DS9 flashback storytelling. Whilst the frequent fade outs are a little distracting, because both the audio and visual material from each episode is so different, I do think this was the only way to achieve the intention of the edit. Audio fade in/out from exterior DS9 shots to TOS could be improved, as there are times dialogue is faded in/out, and whilst keeping DS9 music only for the most part works best, transitions to TOS scenes and music could be improved if a new version of the edit was considered. The only thing I would do if I were to do a new edit of this, would be to replace the TOS footage with TOS-R material, probably SD as HD may be too jarring with the DS9 footage. I'd probably change nothing else. The only query I had when watching, was the placement of Sisko meeting Kirk after the Enterprise departs K7. I guess the Defiant could have been shadowing cloaked, but it probably makes more sense for that scene to be pre-departure. But that's just my thought. Overall, a well-constructed edit that enhances the viewing experience of both original episodes. Given the age of the edit, I'm not sure if the editor frequents the forum still; but well done nonetheless!
T
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments