(Updated: March 16, 2014)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

STAR WARS EPISODE II: THE REPUBLIC DIVIDED

Incredible. Simply incredible. L8wrtr has managed to turn a bad film into a really good one.

Attack of the Clones kinda sucks. Yeah, I know I’m not really the first person to say it. The acting isn’t great, and the pacing is terrible. L8wrtr has managed to reduce the wooden acting, and most impressively, give the movie a really good pace. My school of thought on Star Wars movies is usually that they NEED to be at least 2 hours long to feel like a SW movie, but L8wrtr has proved me wrong here. Somehow, the shorter length makes it feel even more Star Warsy than before.

Really all the cuts are good. I personally like Obi-Wan and Jango’s fisticuffs, but, well it would really only hurt the pacing of the movie. I use to like the Yoda and Dooku lightsaber battle, until I watched this and realized that there was absolutely no need for it. I think it might have been wise to keep the scene with Dex, as the whole thing with Zam revealing Kamino and then Obi-Wan going there doesn’t play out nearly as well as one might think. I feel like you’re kind of just left wondering what Obi-Wan is doing. I also don’t really like the last scene with Padme’s family, but that might be a personal thing. A big problem though, is the scene by the fire place. It last about 10 seconds, and there is no talking. It’s so short that it’s completely pointless. It really doesn’t do anything except make you think “what was that?” It needs to be either 10 seconds longer, or 10 seconds shorter. The only other big problem is at the end of the scene where Padme talks to Dooku, there’s a subtitle at the end thats there for about half a second. Also, I’m not too crazy about what the Geonosian guy says in the Coliseum, its kind of weird and I think the original dialogue works better. Oh, I almost forgot this little gem: “I truly, deeply love you.” Really not a very good line. It shouldn’t have been in this edit. These might seem like quite a bit of negative, but there’s so much positive that I could spend all day talking about it. These things are really just the only things that keep the edit from being perfect in my opinion. There is just so much brilliance in what L8wrtr has accomplished, but I think most of the other reviews have already covered what makes this edit impressive, or should I say most impressive.

Well anyways, I would give the original AOTC a 6 out of 10. As a movie, I would give the Republic Divided a 8 out of 10. Since this is an edit, and most its problems really can’t be remedied by anyone, I give STAR WARS EPISODE II: THE REPUBLIC DIVIDED 9/10.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
DVD
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments