9.3 44 10
FanFix June 27, 2011 19353
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Before you kill me for not giving this a good score, just let me explain.
I actually don't mind Episode II. It has many problems, but I can enjoy it for the sum of it's parts. Now, if you had asked me what I thought of this cut about a month ago, I would have said it was the best AOTC edit out there and recommended it without question. But then I had a closer look at The Phantom Editor's cut, and found it made many more creative choices than this. Then I watched Seciors, and saw, again, many more creative choices. Then, finally, I watched Trooperman's workprint edit, and really feel sorry for other edits, because his is so damn good and creative, it blows all other edits out of the water automatically, regardless of how good they are. So anyway, one thing I noticed in L8wrtr's edit was lack of originality. Most cuts here don't radically change up the story, or even the individual scenes themselves. I kind of just felt bored, seeing things taken out, with no re-arranging and dialogue changes.
Aside from lack of creativity, I also think some more cuts should have been made. For example, Zam's description of being a changeling was left in, as was Yoda sensing Anakin's pain. The garage scene is a hard edit to take in. I would either leave it in completely, or cut it out completely. The reason I would leave it all in is because the way L8wrtr edited it, it feels anticlimactic. He just says he killed them calmly and that's it. There's no drama. It feels worse than before.
The video quality was good, not great. It was nowhere near as good as the official Blu-Ray's and suffered from nasty pixelation from time to time.
Audio cuts were sometimes good, but sometimes hard to stomach. The transition between Palpatine's office and the bus landing was sudden. You could hear the audio fade out in the transition to the Dooku deleted scene. The transition between "aggresive negotiations" and the other Jedi was also really rough.
At the end of the day, it is a good edit, but feels like another forgettable cut, with no changes to the overall story. It also is a let down from Shadow of the Sith, my favourite Episode I cut.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
No
Format Watched?
AVCHD
D
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 2

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
July 25, 2015
I can understand how you'd give "Narrative" and "Enjoyment" low scores, but why are you a hater when it comes to the tech side? You give a 7 for A/V quality??? WTF? And just because the editor didn't make the cuts you wanted him to make, it doesn't mean the actual editing was a 6/10. I've seen this edit and L8wrtr's editing quality is excellent. I think you seriously need to re-evaluate your scores for the tech side of things.
N
neglify
1 results - showing 1 - 1