FanFix August 26, 2020 7742
(Updated: December 16, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

The official release of this film tells the audience immediately that "yes, this IS Thor, and yes, he IS a 'god'". These people in the van just don't know it yet. They front-loaded their film with a Lord of the Rings Prologue and a whole bunch of Thor ass-kicking. Which works.

But what if you wanted to keep a little uncertainty about whether or not the guy who claims he's Thor actually IS him? This edit has been restructured quite successfully to that end.

*** SPOILER ALERT (Do we worry about that sort of thing here?) ***
A van hits a guy in the desert, who claims to be Thor and eventually goes to get back his hammer and CAN'T PICK IT UP. We, as the audience, don't know why, if this is supposed to be Thor! A surprisingly effective misdirect, if you were going for that, which Malthus was. I'd be shocked if this approach wasn't floated when they were planning the film, but I'm sure someone in a suit shot it down, so they could get to the aforementioned ass-kicking that much faster.

And in fairness, the Frost Giant battle flashback IS a huge sequence, and switching it to the middle of the film is a little lumpy, It's like the film begins twice. There's a way to do this right, but it would probably involve Thor telling some of the story himself, once the Warriors Three arrive, instead of just showing all of it to us. But they wanted us to see it. Ass-kicking and whatnot.

Still, Malthus has done an absolutely amazing job of reconstructing this alternate reality take, and I personally enjoy this version much more than the original. It's the same story, just a smarter presentation.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
G
2 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
December 16, 2021
Thank you for the review. For the record I soo see this as a dual narrative. I even toyed with calling it Thor: "Odin's Sons" Which the first act being entitled Thor, the second entitled Loki and the final one being entitled Odin's Sons. There would be title cards to seperate the chapters. I only didn't do that as that is how I plan to present this content in my eventual MCU series.
M
malthus
1 results - showing 1 - 1