FanFix December 03, 2022 3835
(Updated: February 25, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Going into this edit, I was a little cautious. The opening scene after the Gore prologue with the Guardians I felt was really well done, but such a drastically different tone from what was presented in the theatrical cut. I was worried I would miss some of the comedy throughout the film... but all of my worries were for not!

Tremault has done a terrific job in removing so much of the unnecessary, over the top comedy! The result of which is a vastly superior movie with an actually compelling story that focuses on love and protecting those closest to us.
Jane being revealed when Thor first sees her is great. I do miss some of the flashback stuff, since I feel like we never got a quality set up for their relationship Jane's prior two film appearances, but I also don't see a place where they could go back in. Similarly, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the chemo-treatment scene integrated when Jane's cancer is revealed. That said, the edit still works really well without those scenes.
Removing the "love triangle" between Thor and his two weapons is a hugely welcome change, done seamlessly, and features one truly awesome transition shot around 26 minutes in! The crowning achievement of this edit, however, has got to be the improvements made to the Gore story line. Removing much of the comedy helps to make Gore no longer feels like he's in a completely different movie! With the run time cut, Gore isn't ever gone for too long, and the reduction of overt comedy really helps ground the story with Gore, which is a tragedy at it's core. Now, the ending is a little abrupt, I wouldn't mind the epilogue scene being reinserted, even if it is a little campy. But I also respect the decision to end it where it does.

Overall, while it doesn't completely redeem Love and Thunder, this edit is such a vast improvement from the theatrical cut!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply March 05, 2023

Thank you so much! I'm really pleased you liked my fancy transition XD

J
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments