thorlovethundercomedy_front
FanFix December 03, 2022 3830
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I’ll start by admitting that I couldn’t make it to the end of the original film. And I had already tried it twice. As soon as we moved from Gorr’s introduction to Korg’s narration (God, I hate MCU’s Korg), Thor’s buffoonery with all the Van Damme-ish splits, those damned bleating goats and the cancer jokes, I bailed out both times. So, making it to the end of this fan-edit is already a win for Tremault in my books.

From a technical standpoint, Thor Love + Thunder – Comedy meets the same standards established by Tremault’s previous works. Even though a lot of cutting and trimming was clearly involved in her editing room, nothing sticks out as far as I’m concerned. On an enjoyment level, however, I still believe that the film is an unsalvageable mess storywise, no matter what. That is by no means the editor’s fault, whose hard efforts made it at the very least a sufferable experience for me. It’s just that Waititi’s sense of humor (or “humor”, more accurately) is not my cup of tea. More like a cup of poison, I’d say. Cringy lines of dialogue, a mockery of Zeus, empowered children fighting against shadows with their teddy bears as a weapon… My goodness, they’re everywhere in the plot, so that even with Tremault’s best efforts the film could not be salvaged in my eyes.

Usually I save some suggestions for the end of every review, but since I have none in this instance, I’d like to end it on a positive note, praising some of the editor’s fixes. The way she has trimmed every scene with Gorr in it, for example, makes Christian Bale’s performance really –and I mean REALLY- shine! And there’s also that wise choice of omitting the whole kid sidekick nonsense, choosing instead to end the film just as Jane is dying in Thor’s arms. That was such a fitting and heartbreaking moment which almost made me forget what kind of a movie I was watching. And that’s really something!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply January 15, 2023

lovely review, thanks :)
indeed the original movie is so bad, if all the bad was taken out, we'd be left with something so short that it doesn't even make sense.
I'm really glad you got to enjoy Gorr's intimidating presence though, and that emotional ending, those were the parts that made it all worthwhile for me.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments