thisistokyo_front
FanMix April 22, 2021 4940
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

1) I’ve been looking for exactly this for such a long time.
The original Gojira is one of the best films ever made, and while the American cut is inferior, it is still solid on its own, but to see the Japanese and American cuts of the Gojira combined to tell one whole narrative was something I always wanted; I adore the Japanese story but I also loved Steve Martin’s involvement, and here it is, and I wasn’t disappointed.
2) It’s a fantastic edit of both versions, w/ the full Japanese story intact and the American version combined almost flawlessly to tell one cohesive narrative.
3) This may just be the best version of Gojira ever! The narrative, pacing, sound and audio editing is all almost flawless! The way you’ve kept the Japanese story and integrated Steve Martin’s story into it is nothing short of fantastic. The cuts being combined really gives the story a grander feel which a story like this, about mankind’s hubris w/ their greatest and worst creations, ought to have. The story is very well paced still and there’s never a scene where it gets boring, a surprise since the film is so dark :)
4) As for issues, there are only 3:
- I thought Hagiwara’s (the reporter) scene where he’s asked to interview Serizawa, goes to Emiko and then interview’s him shouldn’t have been removed, it gave his character relevance, he’s actually my favourite character in the film; seeing a genuine reporter for once is refreshing. Taking the scene out makes him feel a bit tacked on and could be removed with no issue, which he isn’t at all.
- I didn’t like how the jets driving Godzilla away after the Tokyo attack was removed.
- Most of all, I didn’t like Dr Yamane’s end speech about future nuclear testing being removed, it’s the most important part of the whole film and solidifies its message. I think it should have replaced Steve’s final monologue.
If these issues were fixed, this would be the perfect version of Gojira. Maybe something to do one day eh? :)
4) Overall, HeiseiGodzillaFan, this is some fantastic work, you’ve crafted a near perfect version of one of the greatest films ever made. I give it a Grade A or a 9/10. :)

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
A
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments