9.7 21 10
(Updated: July 02, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Oh what joyous wonder to delve into the mind of Blueyoda!

Those that know me will be aware I started my editing journey making VHS music video mashups...and Blueyoda is the Jedi Master of mashups for sure....this however is a different beast AND YET, of a similar vein.

The challenge is how to review and not spoil this for it is in the viewing that the wonder resides.

Save to say that the Plot of The Thing remains largely intact. How we creep our way through it in the cold is a completely different journey. And OH what a journey this is.

It's not the creative insights that make this....
It's not the wild juxtapositions that make this....
It's not the great new visual effects that make this....
It's not the comedy moments that make this....
It's not the unexpected diversions that make this....
It's not the entirely newly re-arranged sequences that make this....
It's not the scoring enhancements that make this...
It's not the unexpected that make this....
It's not the trailers (which are mini edits and should be seperately submitted IMHO) that make this....

It's all of the above and so....SO much more....

No details from me for sure.

On a technical level, it has been noted that some music is a "tad" loud (yeah....I said tad)...and I do mean a TAD only, but no deductions for this since Blueyoda is aware; the self imposed deadline to get this out was an issue so let's cut some slack here on the slippage and I am certain there will be a version 2 (I hope). No deductions on some of the atrifacts noted, since this project culled many sources of varying quality and many sections were mini prodcuctions in themselves requiring huge amouts of work before dropping them into the edit.

The Audio modifications as music is heard seamlessly from one room to another are flawless and really do anchor this in the top league.

AV gets no deductions since I know the editor would have used the best sources available, and such a deduction would be churlish on my part, IMHO. It sould be said though, there are some clips used which by their age and nature are NOT of a pristine quality but this adds to the charm of the piece and anchors it in its era firmly.

We should all take note, especially for me the first 10 minutes, which show what a creative brush can do to establish an environment and mood so utterly compellingly....HECK, I may need to revisit my own THE THINGS and tweak it.

This is a glorious, uproaringly entertaining piece of creative genius littered with BONKERS and I would implore all to watch, laugh and above all learn...Learning has never been such fun.

Blueyoda is the Chocolatier of Fanediting (with sugar on top)!

STANDING OVATION

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments