Warriors, The: Theatrical Cut Reconstruction (HD)

Hot
Updated

9.8 (10)
9932 0 1 0 18
Warriors, The: Theatrical Cut Reconstruction (HD)
Faneditor Name:
Original Movie Title:
Fanedit Type:
Original Release Date:
Original Running Time:
Fanedit Release Date:
Fanedit Running Time:
Time Cut:
Time Added:
Available in HD?
Brief Synopsis:
This edit takes the HD transfer on the 'Ultimate Director's Cut' blu-ray and goes in and fixes, alters, or replaces every single changed shot to "Reconstruct" the original 'Theatrical Cut' in almost the same HD quality. So we can once again enjoy the film the way it was meant to be seen 1979, without compromising on visual quality.

Intention:
The 2005 'Ultimate Director's Cut' with the cheap digital looking new intro, comic-book interludes and comic-style wipes ruined 'The Warriors' for many people. You had to make a bad choice between watching it in SD but unaltered, or HD but spoiled. The recent release to streaming services of various cuts that were close to the TC was a welcome stop-gap but they inevitably suffered from noticeable digital-compression and retained the pinky/blue DC colour timing, meaning some Warriors fans (like me) still felt short changed. So this "Reconstruction" attempts to replace the 56-minutes of altered footage with new "hybrid" shots made from combining the DC-BR with missing parts from the TC-DVD (and in a few rare instances, an iTunes TC release).

Additional Notes:
In 2013 I cut together the DC-BR and the TC-DVD but it was only a simple swap out of the obvious comic book elements. So this second version of the project goes much further and fixes every change to editing, to brightness, to colour timing, to framing and reverses all zooming and panning.
Other Sources:
- The Warriors (DC) Blu-Ray
- The Warriors (TC) PAL DVD
- The Warriors (TC) iTunes HD file
- The Warriors (TC) VHS (for optional soundmix only. Kindly provided by SilverWook)
- The Warriors (Soundtrack) CD (for isolated score track only)

Special Thanks:
Thanks to all the people that have given feedback in the project thread. Huge thanks to SilverWook for allowing me to use his recording of the VHS soundmix.
Release Information:
Blu-Ray
Special Features
22GB 1080p blu-ray

8 Audio Tracks:
- English 2.0 (Vintage VHS) (Provided by SilverWook)
- English 5.1
- English 2.0
- French 2.0
- German 2.0
- Isolated Score 2.0
- Forever Cinematic Commentary
- Pirate Commentary

- English Subtitles (just to have something to accompany the score and commentaries)
- Chapter Menus
Editing Details:
- Shots that were cropped on the BR were resized and the missing parts of the frame recreated from the DVD.
- For shots that had digital zooms and pans applied for the DC, I reversed the movement to match the DVD reference and again restored the missing parts of the frame.
- The Comicbook style segments and wipes have been replaced with the original transitions from the DVD. I tried to replace as little of the frame as possible.
- Scenes/shots that had been brightened, or darkened have been corrected. The grade throughout has also been made slightly more "warm".
- The beach finale has been regraded to restore the golden tint of the TC, replacing the washed out blue/grey of the DC. All colour-timing inconsistencies in this scene have been faithfully reproduced from the TC. I felt attempting to fix these went against the spirit of the project.
Cuts and Additions:
Two thirds of the movie has been changed, so cuts are too numerous and repetitive to make a worthwhile read.
Blu-Ray Coverart 1 by TM2YC (DOWNLOAD HERE)

Blu-Ray Coverart 2 by TM2YC (DOWNLOAD HERE)

Blu-Ray Coverart 3 by TM2YC (DOWNLOAD HERE)

Anti-Cropping Demo

User reviews

10 reviews

100%
7-9 stars

0%
5-7 stars

0%
3-5 stars

0%
1-3 stars

0%
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

9.7(10)
Audio Editing

9.8(10)
Visual Editing

9.6(10)
Narrative

9.8(10)
Enjoyment

10.0(10)
View all user reviews View most helpful
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Excellent cut and very enjoyable view.
When i was much younger, i saw this move (dont know about the version), but i could not cpmprehend.
Everything went over my head, and we kids just liked it for the Gang part of it.
Now i could finally see it, the way it was supossed to be and with my older brain :)

Liked it a lot and in my view, this edit is flawless!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
V
Top 100 Reviewer 47 reviews
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 1 0
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

All the scenes are in HD quality nothing feels out of place,
TM2YC actually chose to add the prologue with the Greek story but I removed it with my own editing.

I don't mind the comic style in the director's cut but this is the version i would rather watch.

User Review

Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
J
Top 500 Reviewer 30 reviews
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I watched this last night. Wow. Just wow. You did an amazing job recreating the TC. I personally did not notice anything out of place or anything that seemed to be a technical error. You did a wonderful job on this! This is my preferred version of the movie now, hands down.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
(Updated: March 06, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Quite simply put, this is the absolute definitive version of the film, and it quite easily replaces the official release.

CAN YOU DIG IT?
Report this review Comments (1) | Was this review helpful? 1 0
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

The best way to watch The Warriors now, perfection defined. Truly amazing and I'm glad future generations will now have a way to enjoy this classic the way it was meant to be seen. Thank you!

User Review

Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 1 0
View all user reviews