FanMix July 04, 2012 19378
(Updated: January 21, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

TMBTM has crafted a genuinely unique and fascinating take on the original Star Wars. Using footage from various sources to reinsert alternate takes, deleted scenes and new music, the story that we all love has been transformed into a grungy, almost B grade, Grindhouse film.

The blood stained walls after a storm trooper is shot in the face, the funny subtitled dialogue from R2D2, the unexpected "fucking shit hole" from Alec Guinness, the red eyed and witty new dialogue from Darth Vader, all work in unison to create this weirdly funny and engaging experience.

I really loved the grain and scratches applied to the film, as well as the sudden changes to black and white for certain scenes, and while it was a bit jarring, the missing reel that burns out in the first act of the film really sells the authenticity of this edit. This doesn't feel like someone just added some grain and scratches to the movie and called it "Grindhouse"... No, no, this feels like a true Grindhouse film that you'd see in a grungy cheap cinema. I loved it!

The only real criticisms I have with this edit are:
- The music when Luke, Han, and Leia are fighting/escaping the Death Star that leads into the death of Obi Wan was a little misplaced. That's just a nitpick though, as the rest of the soundtrack is fantastic, especially when we're introduced to Han... That was amazing.

- and my final gripe with the edit is the end twist/semi twist. While it was cool and unexpected, it didn't really have any build up, it just sort of happened and then everything went back to normal and no-one acted any differently towards Luke. Obviously because there was no footage of characters acting strangely towards Luke but still. Again, this is just another nitpick so it didn't affect the overall experience/enjoyablity of the film.

Definitely recommend, for fans of the franchise, and fans of Grindhouse in general.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
D
Top 500 Reviewer 9 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments