(Updated: September 09, 2012)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Visual Editing

Enjoyment

Review by Molasar — September 15, 2008 @ 5:54 pm

FanEdit Review by Molasar

Title/FanEditor: The Story of Star Wars by MoveAlong

Prologue: The Story of Star Wars is a fanedit made from the 1977 vinyl record album and read-along book of the same name, its action culled from sequences from the film as well as still photos. Narrated by richly-voiced Roscoe Lee Brown (the voice of Babe the Pig), it is a fast and loose presentation of the basic plot points of the film.

The Edit: MoveAlong has created something special. Those of us old enough to remember the record and book can enjoy the story of Star Wars in a whole new way. The editing of the non-special edition film sequences is perfectly aligned to the recording – and I mean flawlessly. An amazing bit of editing. When still photos are shown, they are panned and zoomed, just like a Ken Burns documentary (that's what I kept thinking, anyway). Brown's deep voice provided an enveloping aural tapestry that drew me in and focused my attention to every nuance of the film scenes and still photos. Needless to say, I was smiling throughout the 51 minute runtime. In short, the editing was seamless and expertly executed.
Score: *****/*****

Image Quality: Taken from several video sources, the picture was clear and tight with great color, deep blacks, and bright whites. All sources used contained no special edition footage. I so no pixelation, macroblocking, blown-out colors or bleeding contrast. This is simply first-rate image quality; easy to sum up.
Score: *****/*****

Audio Quality: There are 2 audio choices: the 1977 LP/2004 DVD hybrid and the 1977 vinyl cut. Both 2.0 mixes sounded rich and clear on my system, nicely reproduced in Dolby ProLogic II sound. In early portions, I detected a slight hiss using the 1977 vinyl/2004 DVD hybrid option. It stood out for only a few seconds, popping up later during dialog-heavy or action scenes. No doubt due to the source material, it did not detract from my enjoyment of the film at all.
Score: ****/*****

The DVD: The Story of Star Wars features a full motion main menu, 36 full motion chapter stops, and a static menu for the audio options. The subtitles are in English.

Overall Rating: *****/*****

Epilogue: A perfect addition to any fan's library. No Star Wars film collection is complete without it. It's a must-have.

Reviewed using Sony 51" 16×9 RPTV with Oppo DVD player upconverting to 1080i via DVI and Onkyo 650 Watt 5.1 surround sound.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments