(Updated: December 10, 2013)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

“Some stories deserve a little less embellishment...”

Kerr’s tagline perfectly captures the woes and shortcomings of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The tag further extends to the recently released extend edition also, Arkenstone Edition aims to tell a tighter and more streamlined introduction into Peter Jackson’s Hobbit films. Kerr has marvellously achieved just that (and a little more).

Having watched the (easy on the downloads) mp4. version of the edit there is an understandable degradation of video quality, this can be seen in scenes that feature indicate details such as the many thousands of gold coins within the halls of Erebor. The compression artefacts can be noticeable at times, however this is a necessary sacrifice to obtain the more desirable download of only 3.37 GB. The audio quality appears to be top notch, no issues were heard due to the compression.

The visual editing is high quality, the cuts are smooth and unnoticeable. Having watched the Extended Edition not too long ago, I was delighted to find none of Kerr’s cuts jarring. Coupled with intricate audio editing all the transitions flowed perfectly. The re-structure of the Rivendell scenes was highly impressive and aided the film’s pacing and Bilbo’s growth as a character. Kerr’s cutlist mentioned a slight colour correction which unfortunately was undetected by me. A harsher correction that removes the cartoon-like vividness of the picture would certainly aid in bringing An Unexpected Journey closer to the visual style of The Lord of the Rings.

The way Kerr replaces the film’s score with Howard Shore’s original compositions is uncanny, while (as I understand it) the mp4. version has some audio balancing issues such as Bilbo’s faint voice over the new music in the edit’s introduction. Upon reviewing the scenes that had musical replacements multiple times (I have an affinity for these kinds of things) there was no part where I could hear the faint echoes of The Lord of the Rings’ score. In many sections the audio has been rebuilt from scratch and mostly it is brilliantly done. However the reconstruction of the audio during the scene where the company is saved by the eagles could have had further work done. This section felt somewhat hollow audibly. Other than this one grip, the audio is well done in general. One moment that particularly stood-out as great audio editing was the removal of the Nazgul theme when Thorin confronts the pale orc.

Overall Kerr’s Arkenstone Edition focuses the narrative into a tighter-paced and much more enjoyable experience. The shorter running time also encourages the chance for multiple viewings without thinking of having to endure the computer generated mess that many of the action scenes embraced. Kerr has nicely done away with the over-the-top antics that were present in the troll fight and the escape from goblin town. Arkenstone Edition sets a brisk pace yet still allows for the extra subplots to naturally flow and expand foreseeing the possibilities of the two remaining Hobbit sequels.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
S
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments