TV-to-Movie June 29, 2014 3444
(Updated: August 04, 2014)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Well....This is a bravura piece of plot deconstruction and re-construction...And what a superb job.

I love Sherlock...and the Moriarty thread kept us all hooked...but having it condensed was something I was looking forward to.

The fact is I just could not tell what had gone. Technically superbly executed. All audio work was for the most part completely seamless. Visually I have nothing to state other than perfect and the only reason I held back from a 10 here was that some of the transitions IMO could have been a tad smoother but that is taste not technical execution. Similarly for Audio with a couple of the music segues being a tad quick (but I won all the Sherlock scores so I might just be hyper sensitive to that). I'd be surprised if anyone else did notice that. It again is a matter of taste. Some minor artefacting on a 50inch plasma, but not an issue. A BluRay release of this would have been welcome...I will convert and burn however since I want this in my box set...

And so to Narrative...We are familiar with the saying "careful what you wish for"...Well this edit is very much what it says on the tin. The plotting is extremely dense as a result of removing the subplots. Though they are expertly excised I found a couple of lines that did not quite make sense in their context which may have been tangential to the removed plot but needed to remain I suspect. The issue is that the plotting is VERY DENSE and you need to be awake, attentive and engaged. YOU WILL BE REWARDED.

I enjoyed this tremendously and an Enjoyment of 10 was avoided simply because it was so dense ...If I had to make one constructive comment (and it is the only one I have)...I would have threaded one of the subplots in....but that would have pushed it to near 3hrs...alternately, (oops comment 2)...I would have added one of the fake solutions to Holmes fate to close the narrative off as a wink to the viewer since this does not need to leave a cliffhanger...its a fanedit after all.

Well done RANGER613....Can't wait for BenHur...LURVE the trailer you did.
W

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments