FanFix August 16, 2014 11705
(Updated: September 26, 2014)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Overview - Third part of Nolan’s trilogy was the most ambitious, was the longest, was sluggish, and was weighed down by already irrelevant political stances. njvc made judicious edits, severing the lulls, pruning the Occupy nonsense (in three years few will know what Occupy meant, none will care), fashioning an even darker version of the finale.

Video - Seamless work here. This editor’s projects are always professional, and this was no different. Picture quality was great and all changes flicked by unnoticed.

The only technical issue I had was the file itself. I burn to disc. This would not fit, even on a dual layer. I attempted light compression many times - fail. Finally converted it (which is not a compression) and I was happy with the resultant DVD, but this is a heads up for others who prefer to burn.

Audio - Robust 5.1 score. Work here on par with video editing. Listened with headphones, also cranked the speakers. Blow the roof.

Narrative - The plot moves quicker now and I don’t check to see how much time remains - something I still do with the original. The overall tone is considerably darker, especially with the bulk of humor removed. Batman is not Noir territory, but the fatalistic themes weigh heavy here. Everything about this edit is top shelf, and this ought to be my preferred go-to from now on. However ...

Enjoyment - Second time I watched this, an uneasy perception cast it’s shadow and I was never able to shake it. The ending (and njvc has already alerted viewers to this in his cutlist) goes as dark as it gets for the caped crusader. Indeed, the “Hollywood” ending of Bruce and Selina in an Italian cafe is gone gone gone. Which made me view all Wayne’s efforts, his sacrifices, his dedication as a big pile of nothing.

Batman is now a doomed tragedy. Dying for a city of ingrates. Squandering his fortune on his useless cause, personal trauma demons. Batman becomes as pointless and meaningless as the excised Occupy have-nots. Wayne is Don Quixote, a loser with the Joker’s mocking L on his forehead. There is no peace, no espresso with a female he had chemistry with. Only a big bang demise for citizens who, quite frankly, were undeserving.

That second viewing, as Batman vaporized, I was thinking, “What a schlemiel.” And that is not how I want to perceive him. In every way this edit was stellar, surpassing the original in so many scenes, except - for me - the ending, which rolled around in my mouth like a mouthful of rotten food.

Could be just me, though.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
DVD
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 1

Comments